Shawnee Public Library
- Published: 18 May 2017 18 May 2017
All hometown libraries will be closed Sunday, May 28th and Monday, May 29th, for Memorial Day. Libraries will be open on Tuesday, May 30th for regular hours.
If you're looking for a dish to bring to your Memorial Day cookout, try out this BBQ Beef Short Ribs Recipe (article A Summer-Holiday Cookout by Jonell Nash in Essence magazine, accessed via MasterFILE Premier).
BBQ BEEF SHORT RIBS
Steeped in beer, this heartily flavored recipe is from Alice Stringer, entrepreneur and resident of Dallas.
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, sliced
- 12-ounce can or bottle beer
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- In large pot, place ribs; sprinkle with salt (if desired) and pepper.
- Add onion. Cover ribs with beer and water.
- Bring liquid to boil; cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until ribs are tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare grill; heat coals.
- Remove ribs from pot; arrange on heated grill. Brush ribs with barbecue sauce.
- Grill, turning and basting periodically until ribs are nicely browned and glazed on both sides, about 20 minutes.
Can't wait for us to open? Read from home with the Pioneer Library System Connect App!
With our app you can:
- Use the physical catalog
- Renew & place holds
- Pay fines
- Read eMagazines
- Use self check machines
- Locate library events