It’s almost time. The hometown libraries of the Pioneer Library System are all geared up for the annual Summer Reading Program, the busiest time of the year inside our libraries.
And we’ve got you covered with SRP Kickoff events throughout the hometown libraries of Pioneer in late May and early June.
Join us for any or all of these events, hosted at the library unless otherwise indicated:
Blanchard, 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 31;
Newcastle, Noon Friday, May 26;
Noble, 10 a.m. Friday, June 2;
Norman West, How-To Festival, 10 a.m. Saturday, June 3;
Purcell, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 6;
Shawnee, 7 p.m. Friday, May 19, Kickoff Concert at Celebration of Life Park;
Southwest Oklahoma City, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 1;
Tecumseh, 11 a.m. Thursday, May 25;
This year, Summer Reading explores ways to “Build a Better World” through a variety of programs that build community, inspiration and in some cases, help participants build actual things.
Activities are planned throughout June and July for children, teens and adults, as well as several intergenerational events for all ages.
Sponsors for this year’s Summer Reading Program are the Anne and Henry Zarrow Foundation, Friends of the Library groups, Hitachi Computer Products of America Inc., the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Oklahoma Arts Council, Oklahoma College Savings Plan, Pioneer Library System, Pioneer Library System Foundation, SONIC, the Oklahoma Department of Libraries and The Oklahoman Newspapers in Education.
All hometown libraries will be closed Sunday, May 28th and Monday, May 29th, for Memorial Day. Libraries will be open on Tuesday, May 30th for regular hours.
If you're looking for a dish to bring to your Memorial Day cookout, try out this BBQ Beef Short Ribs Recipe (article A Summer-Holiday Cookout by Jonell Nash in Essence magazine, accessed via MasterFILE Premier).
BBQ BEEF SHORT RIBS
Steeped in beer, this heartily flavored recipe is from Alice Stringer, entrepreneur and resident of Dallas.
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, sliced
- 12-ounce can or bottle beer
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- In large pot, place ribs; sprinkle with salt (if desired) and pepper.
- Add onion. Cover ribs with beer and water.
- Bring liquid to boil; cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until ribs are tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare grill; heat coals.
- Remove ribs from pot; arrange on heated grill. Brush ribs with barbecue sauce.
- Grill, turning and basting periodically until ribs are nicely browned and glazed on both sides, about 20 minutes.
Can't wait for us to open? Read from home with the Pioneer Library System Connect App!
With our app you can:
- Use the physical catalog
- Renew & place holds
- Pay fines
- Read eMagazines
- Use self check machines
- Locate library events