The Purcell Public Library is currently without water or restrooms due to a water line break. We do not have an estimate of when the water will be turned back on.
All PLS branches will close at 6 pm, Wednesday, November 21, and will be closed on Thursday, November 22, and Friday, Novemeber 23, for Thanksgiving.
We will resume regular hours on Saturday, November 24th.
Here are some fun facts about Thanksgiving via Encyclopedia Britannica:
- There are several Thanksgiving holidays around the world including Canada, Japan, and Guam.
- In America, this tradition began in 1621 as a colonist celebration after they survived a harst winter.
- President Abraham Lincoln officially made Thanksgiving a national holiday on the last Thursday of November.
- Franklin Roosevelt thought Thanksgiving was "too close to Christmas" so he changed the holiday to be the third Thursday of November.
- This was again changed in 1942 to the fourth Thursday in November.
Can't wait for us to open? Read from home with the Pioneer Library System Connect App!
With our app you can:
- Use the physical catalog
- Renew & place holds
- Pay fines
- Read eMagazines
- Use self check machines
- Locate library events
Just like your car, your PC has its own personality and it deserves its own name too! Is your computer used for research? Name it Alexandria! "Rocket" would be a grand name if your PC is fast! Maybe you are feeling exotic and feel like naming it something like "Roxanne." November 20th is your chance to showcase your creativeness in naming your personal computer.
Interested in building your own PC? Joel Hruska gives out tips and tricks in his article "How to Build a PC in 2018: Choosing the Right Components." Check it out here! (Courtesy to Academic Search Elite).